2.07.2013

Roasted Shrimp Enchiladas with Cream Sauce

I spotted a recipe like this on Pinterest and immediately saw the potential for a WW-friendly recipe. I finally got around to making it tonight because we were going to have my brother-in-law over for dinner, and he's wild about shrimp. We had to reschedule with him, but I figured I'd test this recipe out anyway.

I made significant changes to the original recipe that I found here, but I'll bet the original is fantastic. We liked this meal a lot. It was a little involved to make and took about an hour or so, but I'm sure you could do some prep work to save time. I made this meal WW-friendly. As far as I can tell, using SparkRecipes' recipe calculator, these seem to be about 4 points an enchilada. The enchiladas were pretty spicy, but had great flavor. The cream sauce was great! Give it a try:

The shrimp:
12 oz. bag of medium shrimp, thawed, peeled, and deveined
1 Tbsp. olive oil
Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste

Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Toss shrimp in the oil and salt and pepper. Place on a cookie tray and roast for about 6-8 minutes, until they are pink and firm. Let cool and then dice into bite-size pieces. I chopped them up pretty small. Reduce the oven to 375 degrees.

The filling:
1 Tbsp. olive oil
2 garlic cloves, minced 
3 slices of white onion, separated
1 carrot, peeled and grated (I used my peeler to make long peels of the carrot)
1/2 C. of sweet bell peppers, sliced thinly (I used those tiny peppers)
1 Tbsp. dried oregano
2 tsp. cayenne pepper
About 8 Whole wheat fajita tortillas
1 C. fat-free cheddar cheese

Heat the oil in a large skillet. Add garlic and onion and cook on medium heat, stirring so the garlic doesn't burn. Let the onions become translucent, about 5 minutes. Add the carrot and peppers, oregano and cayenne. Cook, stirring occasionally, about 2 minutes. Add the shrimp, tossing to combine. Remove from heat.

The sauce:
1 can green enchilada sauce
1/2 C. chicken stock
1/2 C. fat-free sour cream
(this will probably make more than you need)
Salt and pepper to taste
2 tsp. garlic powder

Set a saucepan on medium heat and add the enchilada sauce. Stir in the chicken stock and heat for about a minute, stirring. Stir in the sour cream and whisk until smooth. Stir as it heats. After a few minutes, add seasoning and remove from heat.

Place a spoonful of the filling on the tortilla and add a generous pinch of cheese. Roll up and place seam-side down in a baking dish that you have sprayed with cooking spray. Continue for the rest. Cover in a generous amount of sauce, but you will probably have some left over. Top with cheese. Bake for about 20 minutes, then turn on the broiler for about 3 minutes.

This will serve 4, if each person eats 2 enchiladas (8 WW points total. I don't know how many WW+. 10, maybe?). I served it with black beans and rice, which is really fantastic with the cream sauce. Delicious!

xoxo, A

No comments:

Post a Comment

I get a thrill with each and every comment... please do!