12.26.2014

Be Careful What You Wish For

We were about to leave for a wedding reception. Our best friends were over, as there was some time to kill between the wedding and reception, and they were in from out of town. We were trying to get out the door on time. What happened next was our typical out-the-door situation where I give Mike a five-minute warning, but as we leave he decides it's time to go to the bathroom. I get irritated, we bicker a little, but we still love each other two seconds later. The only thing different this time is our best friends were witness to this typical out-the-door situation.

She told me later that she and her husband think we're basically a sit-com family. I completely agree. I have said before that Mike is Ray from "Everybody Loves Raymond," Doug from "King of Queens," and Nick from "New Girl" all rolled into one. And I love that about him. Every day is both funny and frustrating in some way, which is both entertaining and sanctifying. I wouldn't change him.

And then it hit me: I got what I had always wanted.

Have you ever seen Return to Me? It's one of my favorite movies. I have always thought that the relationship between Bonnie Hunt and Jim Belushi was the best thing ever. If you haven't seen the movie, see it. If you have, you know what I'm talking about. When I was in college, I used to say that I wanted that. That bickering, flirtatious, outrageous, average, loving thing that they had. I got it. Mike is the Jim Belushi to my Bonnie Hunt. I live in a sit-com, and I love it.

So be careful what you wish for; you just might get it. ;-)

(This isn't the clip I wanted...the one I wanted had too much swearing, but is more accurately our life-- not that we swear! haha!)
xoxo, A

No comments:

Post a Comment

I get a thrill with each and every comment... please do!