1.25.2013

What I Should Have Said...

I previously wrote a post venting my frustration with "kids these days." While I am indeed frustrated, I want to make it clear that I think the reason I am so frustrated is because I care for these kids. I care for them and I want to see them succeed and become caring, intelligent, valuable members of society. They all have so much potential, and it saddens me when I see them fall short of that.

But I'm sure I sadden my Creator when I fall short of the goal, too. Like when I vent just a little too much.

I was also angry, because my mom had cancer, and my youth pastor died of cancer, so it's very personal to me. I recognize it simply isn't a reality in many of these kids' lives, and while I can pray for empathy and caring, I can't force them to care; it's not fair to expect them to understand something they haven't experienced themselves.

And I still say there are many kids who are a daily joy. But regarding the others, even if I'm disappointed in the choices they make, it doesn't mean I don't love them. It doesn't mean there aren't parents at home trying. It doesn't mean we teachers aren't working our butts off to help them, and it doesn't mean they will always make poor decisions.

I allowed momentary anger and frustration to say more than I should have, so to set the record straight: I love my students. They might not believe me, because I give them homework, but honestly. I wouldn't still be teaching at a Christian school if my motives were ever anything other than hoping to train kids to become godly, intelligent, and successful young adults. Even the ones who sometimes or lots of times make poor decisions. Every day is a new day, and an opportunity for them to grow and for me to grow too.

I apologize if my earlier rant offended any. I've always struggled with both my temper and control over my words. I pray that with time, I will have more successes than failures with that, and I pray the same for my students.

xoxo, A

No comments:

Post a Comment

I get a thrill with each and every comment... please do!