11.06.2012

On Voting... Like Everyone Else

Everyone is writing about voting.  Everyone.  Everywhere.  I swear, I heard my neice say "Obama."  OK, maybe that was baby talk, but still.  Everyone.  Everywhere.  My facebook, TV, blogs I follow-- everything is and has been about the election for about three months now. 

Thank God it is over (hopefully) today.

I have deliberately stayed pretty silent on all things political, unlike the last election.  Four years ago, I was involved in the Greater Pinellas Young Republicans, a group that has since dissolved into something else and I just sort of eased out of it.  I voted for John McCain, and I didn't care who knew.  I told everyone on facebook why they should do the same.  This year, I think I "liked" Paul Ryan on facebook and that was the extent of my political voice to the masses this time around.

Why?

Because I don't know about you, but I have never, ever been swayed by anything anyone has posted on their facebook/twitter/blog.  I have never, ever been swayed by a political ad.  So those who rant and rave against one option and glorify another are essentially wasting their breath unless they also post informative, non-biased facts, statistics, etc.  In fact, those are the only things I find helpful (and sometimes not even then).  I understand why they do it-- we all want sounding boards while we're up on our soap boxes.  Oh do I ever have soap boxes.  But at this point, when everyone is so fed up with political ads and all the hooplah, I kind of figure that my soap box will be simply pushed away like everyone else's.  So I don't waste my breath anymore.  Instead, I discuss it with others in person, which is, I believe, the only way people are ever really swayed.  And by "others," I don't mean strangers.  I mean people I know.  Because another annoyance is having strangers who know nothing of your life tell you who you should vote for.

I'm not at all apathetic.  I have very strong convictions.  I'm just sick of hearing everyone's all at once, and I know you are too.  But I voted, and I'm very thankful for that opportunity.  There was a time when women weren't allowed to; I'm very glad that has changed. 

This election wasn't easy, however.  Here come my convictions:

I have tremendous respect for President Obama.  He has filled his role with dignity, and that is something I appreciate across party lines.  However, I personally don't agree with what he thinks will improve our economy, I think he lacks experience, I think he hasn't fulfilled his promises, and I disagree with his stance on abortion.  I'm not a huge fan of Mitt Romney as a person.  I think he's hidden some potentially shady business deals, etc, and that doesn't smack of integrity to me.  Yet, he isn't a believer in Jesus Christ, so I can't expect him to act like one.  I do think he would have integrity in office, however, because it helps to have the accountability of a Cabinet.  I think he can handle money well and will turn our economy around, and I believe he will do his best to try to preserve unborn lives.  I'm not wild about either candidate, but not voting is the coward's way out.  I voted for Mitt Romney, not because I love him; not because I think Obama is terrible, but because he aligns more with the idea of less governmental control over my life, and more importantly, he aligns with what I believe is one of the biggest issues of our time, that God will judge people for: abortion. 

I cannot, in good conscience, vote for someone who doesn't have a problem with killing unborn babies.  I will admit a problem though-- I don't understand how someone could be against abortion except in cases of rape and incest.  In those cases, does the baby cease to be a baby?  Certainly not.  The fact of the matter is, yes, it is a woman's body, but not hers alone.  It is also the body of a baby that cannot speak up for itself.  Abortion is the largest case of genocide, and it is continuing, unchecked.  Again, I simply cannot vote for a leader who would support the murder of unborn children.

So that's who I voted for, and why, and why I haven't been in your face about it.  You can certainly disagree with me, as this is America.  Ultimately, I know God is my King and in control-- no human leader will ever mess up his plans, and for that, I am truly thankful.

xoxo, A

1 comment:

  1. I agree very much with you, Amanda! I voted the same for many of the same reasons. Thanks for your honest thoughts about this :)

    ReplyDelete

I get a thrill with each and every comment... please do!