3.28.2012

Recipe Wednesday: Newlywed Pasta!

Why do I call this Newlywed Pasta, you might ask?  Simply because it's one of the easiest, quickest, healthiest, most delicious recipes I've made several times in my new marriage.  Of course, I made it before we were married, too, but "tuna meal" isn't as catchy as "newlywed pasta," is it? 

This pasta is just so good.  The flavors meld perfectly.  In fact, it's so good that it convinced me to like tuna.  Seriously.  I couldn't stomach the smell of tuna (still kind of can't), so I'd never eat it.  Until I tried this, out of love for Hband and his love for tuna.  Now I'll never go back.  Then again, I'll never go forward to tuna salad, either.  *shudder*

Newlywed Pasta: please forgive the inexact measurements-- it

you'll need:

  • spaghetti-- enough for two.  I've tried whole wheat and it works well.
  • olive oil-- enough to fill your pan/skillet about 1/4" (eyeball if you think it's enough for your pasta)
  • water-- about 1/4 C
  • lemon juice-- real or bottled, about 1/4 C
  • crushed garlic-- to taste (I use two large cloves)
  • cracked pepper, to taste
  • sea salt, to taste
  • red pepper flakes, to taste
  • dried parsley-- about 1 tsp
  • Any other seasonings you prefer-- I add a little of Marie Cavender's or today, seasoning from The Columbia restaurant 
  • 1 large can of water-packed tuna
  • flaked parmesan for top/garnish
(See how cheap?  You probably already had all those ingredients in your pantry!)



see how little my kitchen is and how easily this can be made in a tiny space?!

to make:

In a large pan/skillet, warm your oil over medium heat. 



Add your crushed garlic.  Don't overheat the oil or the garlic will burn.



Meanwhile, boil your water for the pasta and then add the spaghetti.  Cook until al dente, about 7 minutes.  Do not over boil.  Quick tip: put a spoon on top of the saucepan and the water won't boil over!


Increase the heat just a bit to med-high.
Add water and lemon juice.  Be sure not to let it get too watery.  Eyeball it.  It should still look like enough oil to coat your pasta.  If you have to decrease something, decrease the water.



Add salt, pepper, and any other seasonings. I give most attention to the red pepper flakes and dried parsley. I add lots of pepper flakes because we like it spicy! Your oil should not boil; it should be simmering.


When your pasta is done, add the drained tuna to the oil and stir a bit; let the oil coat it a bit.  You'll have to let it heat up again.  The tuna will cool it off a bit.



Look how clean the area is!  This meal is easy to clean as you go.
Finally, remove the pan from the heat and add the drained spaghetti to the pan.  Use tongs to toss the pasta in the oil and tuna mixture.  


Your pasta should be fully coated and mixed with the tuna.  Add parmesan to the top.  We were out, therefore no parmesan.


Enjoy without guilt!  Let me know if you like it/don't or have more exact measurements.


xoxo, A

No comments:

Post a Comment

I get a thrill with each and every comment... please do!