5.14.2012

Inspiration Monday: Vows

Inspiration Monday is taking a bit of a different turn today.  Instead of rounding up a collection to inspire you to have a party or decorate a room, I thought I'd give you inspiration for your marriage, whether it currently exists, or it still lies in your future.


Hband and I went to a wedding yesterday.  Well, "went to" is an understatement.  We actually drove nine hours round trip to see a dear friend get married.  The trip was fun because I got to be with my best friend the whole time.  This was the first time he and I got to attend a wedding together (besides our own).  Ironically, it was exactly one year after I attended another dear friend's wedding, where her mother told me I'd be next... and sure enough, I was engaged three days later!


I was unprepared for the emotions I'd experience watching a wedding with Hband.  I felt a rush of all those feelings I experienced firsthand just four months ago.  I told him I hope I never forget those feelings.  The tears I used to shed at weddings was different-- tears of happiness for the bride, tears for the changes that would occur... but yesterday's tears were tears of joy simply remembering the truly divine experience of entering into a covenant relationship before the Lord.


As I sat there, watching this couple become one, remembering my own wedding just a few months ago, I remembered how meaningful our vows were.  I remembered how we labored over the wording, careful to craft them to say exactly what we wanted to promise, and careful that they reflect a biblical marriage relationship.  We got the skeleton of our vows from some kind of bland "Christian vows" on the Internet, but we added Scriptural references and personal promises.  They are unique to us, they still give me the chills.


I remember pulling mine out of the pocket (yes, pocket) in my dress and barely choking back the tears as I promised my husband these things, and I'll never forget his precious, rare tears as he did the same.


I hope these vows inspire you to write your own promises for your spouse, or to keep the ones you promised long ago.


And by the way... if you're a bride-to-be, feel free to use these vows if you like them... but be sure to honor them.


I, Michael, take you, Amanda, to be my wedded wife. With deepest joy I receive you into my life that together we may be one. As is Christ to His body, the church, so I will give sacrificially to you, as a loving and faithful husband.  Always will I perform my headship over you, even as Christ does over me. I promise you my deepest love, my fullest devotion, my tenderest care. I will continually seek to love you, comfort you, honor and cherish you, even as I care for my own body.  I will provide for you, pursue you, and protect you, as the weaker vessel.  I will set as my goal in life to please first God, and then you, in all things, and I promise that I will lead us spiritually in faith and hope in Christ Jesus. I will faithfully follow Christ as I entrust our marriage and family to Him, and I will let Him make me into the man you deserve.  Ever honoring God's guidance by His Spirit through the Word, and so throughout life, no matter what may be ahead of us, I pledge to you my life as a loving and faithful husband.  Forsaking all others, I will keep myself only for you as long as we live, so that in all things, God might be glorified.


I, Amanda, take you, Michael, to be my wedded husband. With deepest joy I entrust my whole heart to you, and the rest of my days as God wills. As you have pledged to me your life and love, so I too happily give you my life, and in confidence submit myself to your headship as to the Lord. As is the church in her relationship to Christ, so I will be to you.  I will live first unto our God and then unto you, ever deepening my relationship with Him, as my first love and Savior. Loving you selflessly, patiently, gently, I will strive to obey you humbly; being quick to listen, slow to speak and slow to become angry; caring for you thoughtfully and always seeking to please you. God has prepared me for you and so I will strengthen, help, comfort, respect, and encourage you. I will strive to bring you good all the days of your life. Therefore, throughout life, no matter what may be ahead of us, I pledge to you my life as an obedient and faithful wife, and promise to persevere until death alone shall part us, so that in all things, God might be glorified.











xoxo, A

No comments:

Post a Comment

I get a thrill with each and every comment... please do!