5.05.2012

Photography Saturday: My Kind of Town

If you were to ask me the question, "If you could go anywhere, where would you go?" My answer would almost always be, "Chicago."


I've been to cities all around the world.  They're each fantastic in their own way.  But my very favorite city has always been and will probably always be Chicago.  Sure, it doesn't have the pristine beaches of Clearwater.  It lacks the ancient history of Jerusalem.  It's missing the 24-hour-a-day-ness of New York City.  It doesn't have the intrinsic romance of Paris.


But it does have my history and my heart.  Besides that, it has a unique and unquestionably fascinating history.  It has marvelous architecture.  The food is phenomenal-- grab a hot dog on the corner or a pizza at Lou Malnati's, or really anything else.  They've got spirited sports and sports fans.  The people are some of the friendliest I've found... well, certainly for the North.  The culture-- oh, the culture!  I used to take in shows at least once a semester when I was in college, and the museums are second to none.  It's saying something when New York's Natural History Museum makes you yawn in comparison to the Field Museum, and even the Louvre doesn't inspire you like the Art Institute.


There's an energy to Chicago that I can't explain.  I can feel it well up in me the moment I get my first glimpse of the skyline (which I think is the best I've ever seen).  I could go on and on.  If you've never visited this city, do it.  The fall and the spring are excellent times-- the fall brings glorious colors and football; the spring brings tulips and freshness.  Though summer has festivals and one can enjoy the "beach" and if you're lucky, a boat ride; winter is magical when it snows.


I gush.  But the city is deserving.  Still, don't take this post to mean that I don't like living here in Florida, because I do.  I'm very thankful God has led me here, and I'm content to stay as long as He wants.  Florida has her own charms, and be not afraid... that post is coming. :)  But for now, let's just say absence has made this heart grow fonder of my sweet home, Chicago.


Here are just a handful of some of the things I love about that city:


The first view when driving up Lakeshore Drive.
Navy Pier.
Dancing in Grant Park.
The architecture.
My alma mater.


 The Art Institute.
 The Field Museum.
 View from Lincoln Park.
 Favorite view, from the Planetarium/Aquarium green.
 Classic State Street.
The old Water Tower.
 My boys, the White Sox.
 Michigan Avenue.
 The Chicago River.
 The Chicago Theater.
More of the River.
Picnik snow at Christmastime. :)
xoxo, A

3 comments:

  1. Love this, with 2 exceptions:

    a. Jerusalem really is my favorite city, even though I'll always love Chicago.
    2. The White Sox?! (Really, Amanda, let's talk about this)... CUBS WIN!!

    The photo of the skyline from Lakeshore is my favorite. The last time I was coming into the city from the airport I just wanted to hug the skyline! Cheesy but true. Love your blog. Miss your face.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Same here, Amanda! Absolutely LOVE Chicago! Of all the cities I've been to, I'd say it's definitely one of the prettiest, and cleanest! Many fond memories of my four years there . . . =D

    ReplyDelete
  3. Haha, Kate-- Jerusalem truly was amazing. I'd for sure go back! And 2, YES, SOX!!! My whole life I've been a fan-- Kate you MUST cross over. hahaha. I totally get it about hugging the skyline. :) And I miss your cute accent and vibrant smile! :)

    ReplyDelete

I get a thrill with each and every comment... please do!