5.09.2012

Recipe Wednesday: Confetti Salsa

Is there any satisfaction equal to that when you are known for some kind of "famous" recipe, and it's requested of you?  I love that.  For me, it is my confetti salsa.  I was once told this was mandatory for me to bring to every single party.  Ever.  Sadly, it's taken a hiatus for a while.  I think this summer is the time to bring it back. 


In all honesty, this recipe came to me via my Aunt Maureen (as did her Monster cookies... to be featured here at a later date).  But I made it my own and man, is it good.  I could proabably eat the whole lot of it.



This recipe makes a huge bowlful, so either make it for a party or store the rest in individual containers. By the way, I took this off my original cooking site (short-lived) called "Quarter-Life Crisis Cooking."  By the time I'd have time or means to make something of that site/name, I'd no longer be in the "quarter-life" age range.  I'm pushing it already.  Oh well.  For those of us who are pushing "quarter-life," this is healthy, which we all know we need these days-- it has protein, fiber, and veggies!


Here's what you need:


  • 1 seeded and diced red bell pepper
  • 2 ripe avacados, pitted, peeled, and diced
  • 1/4 of a red onion, diced very small (I'm not a red onion fan... add more to taste)
  • 4 chopped greens of scallions
  • 1 can "Mexicorn," drained
  • 1 can black beans, drained and rinsed
  • 1 1/2 can petite diced tomatoes; try to get the ones with chiles
  • 1/2 cup canola oil
  • 1/2 cup balsamic vinegarette (I use lite)
  • 2 packages of Good Seasons dry salad dressing mix

Almost all of these ingredients can be bought at Aldi for very cheap. The scallions, vinegarette, and dressing mix would have to be bought elsewhere.



Here's what you do:



Gently stir everything together and let it sit, covered in the fridge. The longer it sits the better, because the flavors marinate.  The avocado will lose it's gorgeous green, though.  


Difficult directions, right?



Other uses for the salsa besides the typical "put it on a chip":


1. lettuce wraps-- pull apart large leaves of lettuce from the head and pile a bit of salsa, perhaps some shredded chicken or fish, and/or some shredded cheese. Roll up and enjoy! This is HEALTHY!!


2. enchiladas-- warm corn tortillas in the microwave. Spread warmed fat-free refried beans on the tortilla, top with shredded chicken and cheese, or one or the other. Make up as many as will fit in a pan. Bake at 350 until slightly crispy on the outsides-- about 15-20 minutes-- and top with the salsa. This is also HEALTHY!


3. breakfast-- toast a wheat pita, scramble up some eggs or egg whites, and top with the salsa. Delicious and HEALTHY!


And honestly... I've put this on a sandwich before.  It was messy.  No judgments.  Also don't judge this crappy picture, taken ages ago.





Doesn't that just scream "SUMMER" to you?


xoxo, A








1 comment:

  1. I'm already making this tonight for the small group BBQ tomorrow!! Great minds!!

    ReplyDelete

I get a thrill with each and every comment... please do!