4.04.2012

Recipe Wednesday: BBQ Calzones!

Mkay, this is my favorite thing to eat, currently, though it's probably not too good for my recent health consciousness.  However, this is easy and unbelievably delicious!!  I just made them not more than an hour ago, and they have been devoured.  They were devoured so fast that I don't have any pictures, however.  SORRY!!  I'll make them again and add pictures later.  For now, follow the directions and it will be YUM.


First, make this pizza dough either in advance and refrigerated, or fresh.  I had mine in the fridge.  Now, the last time I made calzones, I used half the dough for ONE calzone (twice as much as the original blogger recommended).  It was HUGE (I ate half; Hband ate whole).  This time I made two smaller calzones out of half the dough.  It's probably a more normal portion size, but I found myself wanting more!  In reality, it's the right size, and way easier to maneuver when placing on the pizza stone.  


This recipe is for two small calzones (half the batch of dough).


Aside from the ingredients you'll need for your dough (basic recipe-- if you have yeast, you probably have all the ingredients in your pantry), this is what you'll need:
pizza stone
shredded or chopped cooked chicken, about two handfuls.  Leftover chicken?  Perfect use!
shredded pepper jack cheese (two handfuls)
About 1/2 cup BBQ sauce (I love Sweet Baby Ray's)
French fried onions from the jar-- about 1/4 cup
1/4 cup olive oil with salt, pepper, and garlic powder in it


Preheat oven to 500 degrees, with your pizza stone already in the oven.


Manipulate one small ball of dough on a floured surface until it makes a rough circle.  Be sure there aren't any holes.  I don't roll it out; I stretch it with my fingers.  Spoon half the BBQ sauce onto one half of the circle.  Add one handful of chicken, one handful of cheese, and about half the friend onions.  Pull the other side of the dough over and roll up the edges of the crust so you have a nice little half-moon pocket.  Do the same to the other small ball of dough.


Brush the olive oil mixture onto the tops of the calzones.  Use metal spatulas to put onto the already hot pizza stone.  Cook for about 15 minutes.  Be sure to COOL before eating that molten lava goodness.


These things are amazing.  You could fill them with anything, really.  I've made buffalo chicken, corned beef and ricotta, etc.  You could make them with pizza toppings, ham and cheese, veggies... the possibilities are endless!  Enjoy!




xoxo, A

No comments:

Post a Comment

I get a thrill with each and every comment... please do!